Immigration FAQ

Introduction to Immigration FAQs

Dear Bow Valley College student,

We have created this Frequently Asked Questions and Answers to facilitate finding the information you need to clarify your inquiries related to the immigration process as a student. As your main source of information is Citizen and Immigration Canada, this is just a resource that will assist you in navigating through the information.


At Bow Valley College we strongly recommend students to strictly follow the guidelines provided by Citizen and Immigration Canada to maintain their legal status.


Before making any changes to the “conditions” as a temporary resident in Canada, as a good practice we suggest to:

  • Read and understand clearly the conditions and restrictions listed on your study/work permit.
  • Be aware of your study/work permit expiration date.
  • Search for information at Citizen and Immigration Canada’s website or contact them.


To respond the frequently asked questions related to immigration we have included the links from Citizen and Immigration Canada to maintain accuracy in the information provided.


It is the student’s responsibility to follow the proper guidelines established by Citizen and Immigration Canada. This is not a legal document. For legal information, refer to Citizen and Immigration Canada.


1. How can I contact Citizen and Immigration Canada?

Please visit: to search for the information you need.

If you are in Canada, you can either email at or call 1-888-242-2100 to speak to an agent.

If you are overseas, please call your nearest Embassy or Consulate. 

Notice – New immigration regulations for international students

In June 1, 2014, Citizen and Immigration Canada made changes to the International Student Program. Please read the details on here.

The new rules :

  • limit the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution, including institutions that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards;
  • require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada; and
  • allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

For an extended overview of the changes to the International Student Program please click here.

The most recent communique issued by the Government of Alberta is posted here.

Designated Learning Institution

Bow Valley College is proud to announce that our college is registered as a Designated Learning Institution, and our registration record is DLI # O19273769422. (The first character is the letter “O” followed by eleven numbers: O 192 737 694 22).

Additionally, we confirm that all of our programs are listed as Designated Learning programs and are eligible to receive foreign nationals on a study permit.

Please take note that when applying for your study permit, you must provide our DLI number along with our Letter of Acceptance, which will confirm the number as well.

You may verify the list of Designated Learning Institutions here.